Sunday, February 28, 2010

Me: "What Should I Do?" God: "Just Do Something, Hannah..."

After church this afternoon, my dad and I drove to town and talked with a man who was in the Coast Guard for 8 years. We talked to him for about an hour and a half, and he had lots of insight and good advice to give me...

I think I want to do it. I think I want to join the Coast Guard. Yes, lots of what the man had to say about it really seems to fit my personality, and I think it's something I would like and maybe be good at. But mostly, I can't stand being directionless any longer. I just need to do something. God can't direct my steps if I'm not taking any. Plus, serving people, saving lives, learning a skill, getting a degree, living on the coast---all while traveling around the world---sounds pretty good to me. In fact, all those things seem a lot more worth while (to me) than sitting on a college campus... living in a cramped little college dorm... going to classes with a bunch of immature and shallow college kids... does this sound anything like high school to you? Because it does to me. And I've had enough of high school. Don't misunderstand me---I do want to get an education. But I also feel a need to do something worth while and active, and I think the Coast Guard might just fulfill that need for me.

All those things I listed (plus more) are very intriguing. But, maybe just because I'm a woman (haha), there's still one thing that I can't help wondering about in the back of my mind: that is marriage, family, and settling down. Getting married and having a family is something that is on my heart---even while the thought of being independent, traveling the world, and saving lives also excites me. But how would being in the Coast Guard and traveling around the world fit in with my desire to get married and have a family? ... I have no idea. Heh. And I have no concluding answer to satisfy that question.

Well, God... lead on. The most I can do, at least for now, is just do something.

3 comments:

  1. Sigh. :( I don't want you to go. Both you and Jordan are abandoning me! This isn't fair...

    Actually, I guess it is. Heh. I'm glad you seem to feel you've found something that just might fit. My dad thought the same thing when I told him you were considering it. He said you'd do well. I have no doubt you will. Then again, you'll do well wherever you go. :)

    Have you looked into schedules and things? What do those look like? When would you start?

    ReplyDelete
  2. excuse me Ellie, but I am the only one who's NOT leaving. So if anyone should be pulling the abandenment card it would be ME!

    Hannah, what are you looking at within the coast guard? Are you looking at reserves or enlisted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie: Thank you. I am not so confident as that, but I will be doing something. And it's something I think I won't mind doing, at least for a while. As for scheduling, I have no idea thus far. As I just recently learned from Mr. Wise-and-knowledgeable-man-who-was-in-the-Coast-Guard-for-8-years, something that is different about the Coast Guard in comparison to other services, is that you have to make an effort to find and talk to a recruiter and show him you really are interested. In other services (Army and such), they come looking for you. When I talk to the Coast Guard recruiter, dates, schedules and things will be discussed then. (And I have a solution for your abandonment....come with me? Hmm? :D)

    Jordan: Most likely enlisted. And guess what? They have journalism in the Coast Guard. :D I need to look into it more, but it sort of sounds like it could be something I'd like---or at least be interested in. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete