Thursday, June 2, 2011

If life was a bowl of soup:

I haven't written anything in a long time.  A really long time.  Not on my blog, not in a letter, not even in one of the many notebooks or journals that float around in my bottomless-pit of a desk.  For me, the girl who writes out every musing, thought, frustration, inspiration, humiliation, contemplation (you get the idea...), this months-long writer's block is a complete oddity.

Typically, I enjoy writing stuff.  It's an outlet for me!  It allows me to rant when I've got pent-up frustrations; it helps to un-muddle my brain when I'm overwhelmed and confused about life; it's a canvas for words and ideas when I'm feeling creative and inspired.  My brain itches and my fingers tap when any of those moods I mentioned comes upon me... and I gotta write somethin'.  I just gotta.  Words build up in my head, and flow out through my finger tips and viola!  Something---however meaningless or, occasionally, significant---gets written.

But nothing's gotten written lately.  Not from my head's compartment of thoughts, it hasn't.  And I can't explain why---because I don't know why.  It's the strangest thing, really, because I haven't even felt like writing anything (whaaat...?), and when I've thought something, or seen something, or heard something that made my mind's eye blink and I said to myself, "I should write something about that", I couldn't.  I'd sit starring at a blank page---or blank screen---and wait for it; the "it" that always comes.  It never came.  It hasn't come for a lot of months now.

Weirdness.

But, then, here I am: writing.  Writing about not being able to write.  Hah!  What an oxymoron.

Maybe the deal is I haven't had a lot to write about.  Not much.  Not really.  In fact if this past year was a soup I'd describe it as, bland.  Yup.  That pretty well sums it up, sadly.  Very little flavor; small amount of spice---just spoonful after spoonful of flavorless broth.  Know what, though...?  It's my own fault.  My soup is what I make of it, darn it---and if it's bland, then I'm the one who's been sparring the salt and pepper!
I'm only guessing... but I'd say this kid's pretty
happy with his soup.  Heh. :D



I'm changing that.

No more bland-soup-life for me.

And no more focusing-on-only-myself-and-forgetting-the-people-around-me, either.  Because I've been doing a lot of that, too.  Too much of it, way too much.  There are other people floating around in my soup, and they have their own set of taste preferences: "Don't be selfish; don't live to make a good impression on others.  Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself.  Don't think only about your own affairs, but be interested in others, too, and what they are doing."  (Philippians 2:3-4)

So... it looks like I might be back on the random-writings-and-uncommon-musings band wagon, peeps.  And it's weird as usual.  (Soup?  Really?)

Albert Einstein said: The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.  Well, Sir Einstein, my thinking process is obviously changed forever: I now think of life as soup, and all the events that happen in my soup, as salt and pepper.

May we all stir full and flavorful soups.

No comments:

Post a Comment