Why do men always talk about politics? They all seem to know who's right and who's wrong, who should be voted for and who should be voted against, who made the most recent ridiculous promise to the nation last week and who is trying to pass the most outrageous bill this week. It's like the single universally common connection between every male in the race of mankind---politics. I want to be able to join in political discussions as a woman. I want to do my part. (No, no, don't worry: I'm not a feminist.)
Admittedly, I hate politics. Talking about them feels like going no where, every politician involved in them seems to---in the end---have their own agenda, and they never fail to bring on loud, heated, uncompromising debates. I'm not afraid of a good debate, but even so, the word politics makes my head feel tired and overwhelmed. However... this is the conclusion I've come to:
The political, economic, and possibly spiritual direction of the United States of America could be reliant on the vote of its people, and since I am an American with the right to vote, I ought to vote. But how can I know who or what to vote for, or against, if I don't know what's going on in the political world---or what's going on in the world at all, for that matter? I don't know what's going on in the world. Do you know what's going on in the world? If you do, bravo. Slap on the back. I solute you. I don't know what's going on in the world, but I'm determined to know, and that should count for something. Good intentions are worth a few points, right? Heh... wrong. Good intentions accomplish nothing at all---but action does (hopefully), and that's the point.
Well, wish me luck in my active pursuit of political informed-ness. Or, yeah, wish me God speed. Whichever is most politically incorrect.
| Photo from photobucket.com |
No comments:
Post a Comment