is that---if you're me and you're trying to be practical---you have to do something you don't like in order to be successful, rather than doing something you do like because you already find success in it.
For instance:
I like writing. I like singing. I like drawing and sketching and taking pictures. Realistically, can I make a descent career out of any of those things? No---not in a practical sense. Even though every English and Writing teacher I've ever had has ordered me to become a journalism major, every band I've sang with has told me to do something with my singing, every Art teacher I've been under (well, the only Art teacher I've been under) has told me to go into photography. I suppose I could do any one of those things if I really wanted to (I'm young! I can do anything I want to, right?) but I sure as heck wouldn't make a living for myself. (Side note, just to clarify: I like writing, singing, drawing, and photography, but really I am not brilliant at any of them. I just like them. People are too kind.)
Instance number two:
I like animals. I always have. But unless I want to go to veterinarian school for 8+ years (which I do not; I would never in my right mind subject myself to 8+ years of school. 8+ years seems like half of a lifetime---almost), than a career in the field of animals is basically out of the question. I could, instead, become a veterinarian technologist in 4 years, get hired at a large city vet clinic, and make a maximum of $15.00 an hour. An option that is, yes, but not a very appealing one. First, because of two words: "big city", and second, because of the maximum number of $15.00 an hour---which is not worth 4 years of schooling, and would not pay for 4 years of schooling.
Solution: Get a job somewhere within the health field---ultra-sound, nursing, x-ray technician, etc.---and be guaranteed a job anywhere, at any time. Plus good pay.
Problem with solution: I hate math and science. (Eh... hate is a strong word. I strongly dislike math, and though I find science very interesting, I am not inclined towards it. Not anywhere like I am inclined towards Writing and English---and animals.)
How on earth can a girl know what to do when everything she wants to do, she can't do? At least, not practically speaking.
I practically hate practicality.
No comments:
Post a Comment